Thursday, November 4, 2010

Photo Time!!!

Jakarta.  Notice the contrast between the big shinny buildings and the rest of the buildings.  Also, can you notice the smog?


Pontianak

Walking in the rain.

The knife shop.  I told the guy I wanted a machete... he told me I could buy two and put them on my wall. I told him I wanted one that could cut trees, I don't think he understood that I wanted to actually use my machete.



Kopi
This is the vessel that holds the delicious coffee.  


Indonesian Barista


Market
Corn anyone?

So many different transportation options.

Indonesians like it hot, in more ways than one.  

I kept thinking that I was walking through feces... it turned out to just be the smell of durian.  There is a reason why you can't eat this fruit it some hotels.  

4 comments:

  1. Delighted to see that the demic expansion of maize has reached Indonesia. Maybe I should model that as part of my diss. Or not. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm... I just may have had a revelation. There's a spot in Toronto where I walk regularly and it always smells like feces... I wonder if there are any durian around?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures......thank you. I had no idea Jakarta was a modern city with skyscrapers.....are the open air markets intermingled amongst all that glass and steel? If you are drinking coffee, it must be safe to drink the water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, it is nice to know someone is out there. Sonya, if it is sweet feces smell... it could be durian or a sugar processing center (I find the smells similar). Mary, I am not sure if the coffee water is safe to drink, I am assuming it is boiled or something, but I have put something in my system that my body isn't liking, it could have been the coffee, or the street food, or maybe just travel stress ... I guess I will never know.

    ReplyDelete