Monday, November 8, 2010

Life as a Turtle

Life as a turtle must be very liberating but also very difficult.  Imagine having your house on your back.  No matter where you go, you have everything you need; however, that means you also need to carry everything you have everyplace you go.  I had a glimpse of what it must feel like being a turtle this week.  I arrived from Pontianak to Jakarta on Wednesday night.  I had left 48 kilos (about my body weight) of gear in Pontianak (that is a different story)... but in Jakarta I was reunited with the items I have decided that I need for the next two months (plus things that are of too much value to leave somewhere).  I imagined that it would be a quick trip into Jakarta to obtain my permit to enter national parks, so I only booked two nights in a hotel.  Well, between my permits not being ready and the evacuation of my next location, I was stuck in Jakarta.  I went looking for a new hotel, and was drawn to the sign that said "24 Hour Pancakes" and realized this must be the hotel for me.  Advice... do not pick a hotel because it might have 24 hour pancakes (by the way, they didn't even serve pancakes at breakfast).  I blew the power in the hotel and just didn't feel like it was a good place (plus it cost $50 a night).  If I was going to stay at a sub-par hotel, I wanted to pay sub-par prices (remember, none of my grants have gone through yet, so my bank accounts are pretty much empty at this point).  Therefore, I walked down the street and found a hotel for $26 a night.  It was what you would expect for $26, a bit dirty, a bit loud, a bit shady.  However, the next day, I was trying to figure out where my friend was staying (the motorcycle driver took me to the wrong hotel the night before), and I realized I could stay at a nice hotel for only $27 dollar a night.  Sold. I moved again.  Now 4 hotels in 5 days might not seem that bad; however, when you have to carry all your stuff around (hotel 2 made me walk the 4 blocks to the next hotel- a many of the hotels do not have elevators or carts) it gets to be a bit much.  Since I do not have a picture of my turtle life, let me try to explain 'my house'.  I have my 70 liter backpack stuffed to the gills on my back (it probably weighs 65 lbs), then I have my 36 liter backpack on my belly (it weighs 40 lbs), I have my Timbuk2 bag over my shoulder (I try to make that one light) and then have my big Pelican briefcase in my hand (35lbs).  Now, I can walk with all this stuff, but it is very very difficult.  I laughed when someone asked me if I wanted to take a motorcycle with my stuff.  I now understand why turtles move so slowly, one must have very slow and calculated movements with that much weight on your back.  I just got word that I will be moving again on Thursday to Bandung.  Hopefully, I will be staying in one place for a bit (I am suppose to finally start language school).  I will be happy when I am no longer a turtle for awhile.

2 comments:

  1. Katie...I was contemplating asking you what you'd like to have sent in a "care package", things you'd appreciate, but couldn't find in Borneo. But after reading your latest blog, I realize you couldn't carry another thing. But I'm going to ask anyway if there is something you'd like, and a permanent address I could send a package to. I imagine the package wouldn't arrive for weeks, or even months, so maybe you'd be more settled then. I am sitting here trying to imagine you with a pack on your back, another on your chest, a bag over your shoulder and one in your hand. Too much stuff to warrant the label "hobo"; turtle is perfect. mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Little Katie, This is your old neighbor on Waterford Av in Milwaukee. Your mom just told me about your blog. This is fantastic!
    Hey, I bet Kerri would have some sympathy for your turtle like condition. Or maybe next month she will! JK! LOL! Safe travels and research!
    Kelly Kuster

    ReplyDelete