Friday, November 5, 2010

Everything happens for a reason

I generally think there is a greater plan.  I can't really articulate it, but it is something I believe in.  In some ways it is a defense mechanism... a reason for all the bad things.  However, I generally feel that something or someone is looking out for me.  I was feeling very frustrated yesterday when I called the Department of Forestry Department to ask about my permit to enter conservation areas.  They stated that it might take another week to process it.  Another week of waiting for permits means another week in Jakarta, another week of living out of hotels, another week of delaying my language school,  and another week of delaying my research.  I was just in the processes of transferring hotels again (I kinda blew the power in the last one and wanted to get out of there before they figured out it was me... shhhh don't tell anyone), when I got a text message from the Fulbrighter that flew in with me.  She is stationed in the town Yogyakarta (the location of my language school).  Fulbright was evacuated from Yogyakarta due to the violent eruptions of Mount Merapi.  Everyone is okay... but if I would have had my permits, I would have had to be evacuated also.  I guess everything does happen for a reason.  Now if only the thing that watches out for me could find me a clean, nice, safe place to stay for a good price... okay, I will stop being picky and just be happy that I am safe. 

1 comment:

  1. I, too, discovered that it's always better to look for the silver lining. I'm glad you are safe. Every time I hear something on the news about the eruption of Mt.Merapi, I think of you, and wonder which way the wind is blowing in your part of the world. mary

    ReplyDelete