Friday, October 29, 2010

Where in the world is Katie San Diego?

I will give you a few clues.  She is on the 3rd largest island in the world (if you don't count Australia...which I don't, it is a continent, hence it forgoes its island status). She is on the equator. She is not in the forest.  For a non geographical clue, she is running back and forth between offices.  If you guessed Pontianak, West Kalimantan, Indonesia, you are correct!  If you didn't, well you better brush up on your Indonesian geography by reading this blog.
I have attached a map to help you understand where I have been and where I am going.  I need to work on my editing skills, so places of interest are circled by yellow.


Places of Interest
1. Jakarta: Capital of Indonesia, Island: Java.  I fly into Jakarta.  It is where I start my permit process.  I was there for 4 days, and will return for a few more days sometime next week.  Highlights of Jakarta, lots of traffic, lots of juxtapositions (really nice sky scrapers next to shanty towns, big hummers next to bicycle carts,  etc), and fancy malls.   
2. Pontianak: Capital of West Kalimantan, Island: Borneo. (where I am right now).  Before I describe Pontianak, I want to clarify something.  If people ask where I work, I might say, Borneo, Indonesia, or Kalimantan.  They all mean slightly different things.  Borneo is the name of the island, it actually is made up of three countries: Indonesia, Malaysia, and Brunei.  Indonesia is the country, and Kalimantan is the Indonesian part of Borneo.  To make it more complicated, West Kalimantan is the province, which is kinda like a US state.  
Fun facts about Pontianak.  Well, it is located on the equator, which is pretty cool.  Also, it has so much traffic... but I can't figure out why.  It took me 30 minutes to cross the street, and even then it was a game of Frogger.  Also it is home to University Tanjungpura, the university that I work with.  
3. Yogyakarta: Capital of Yogyakarta, Island: Java.  So I was going to say that I do not know much about Yogyakarta, except that I will be going to language school there... and  that is all I will know until I get there because my Indonesian Guidebook was left in the San Fran Airport, but then I remembered this fun thing called Wikipedia.  According to Wikipedia, it has over 100 Universities, and is a cultural center.  Sounds like a fun place.
4.  Circle with no names: Ketapang, Sungai Tolak and Batubarat: Capital of Bekantan Land, Island: Borneo.  This circle is the location of my sites.  It is where I will actually be studying monkeys.

So just to clarify, I was in Jakarta, I am currently in Pontianak, I will fly back to Jakarta for a few days, then fly to Yogyakarta for a month and some change, fly back to Poontianak, take the boat to Ketapang, and go find some monkeys.   

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the map....it really helps. I've read your post twice and I'll need to read it again to keep all the place names straight in my head....the map really helps! Or maybe, I'm just tired. mary

    ReplyDelete