Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Saving Grace of Cemeteries


Pythons, crocodiles, jellyfish, venomous snakes, sun bears, tree falls, religious extremists, and angry logger are just a few of the hazard in my life; however, the most dangerous part of my job is actually walking on the street in front of my townhouse.   I have said this to many people and they just laugh at me, but last night, I proved that this is in fact true.  I was taking my causal stroll back home from my boat last night, when all of a sudden I saw two sets of headlights coming quickly toward me.  As I know my road is not wide enough for two sets of cars, and I am currently walking on said road, I know I am in trouble.  The bus starts honking at me as it is heading straight towards me.  I thought some words that aren’t appropriate for this blog, and jumped off the road, but rather than just going into someone’s yard, there was a fence that was impeding my escape from being flattened by the bus.  I had just enough time to half climb up the fence, and held on for dear life as I felt the gush of wind created by the bus as it flew past me.  After the bus passed me, I jumped off the fence that I had climbed, and realized that I had tried to scale the fence into the cemetery.  So it was the cemetery that saved me from my near death experience with the bus… and in a week when I saw many men totting rifles, tracks of two crocodiles, and angry male orangutans, it was the bus that almost got me.  

3 comments:

  1. The bus that _almost_ got you. Good thing for you climbing skills :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please try to make it home in one piece. There was an article in this morning's newspaper about two Marquette students who contracted malaria whilst studying in Guatemala. Please take the appropriate prophylaxis.

    ReplyDelete