Friday, January 21, 2011

Where are the bekantan and the Borneo?

I have been writing this blog for 3 months now, and you might have noticed that there is little to no mention of bekantan (proboscis monkeys) or even the island of Borneo.  That is because I have spent the last 3 months collecting permits, avoiding large exploding volcanoes, and learning a little Bahasa Indonesia, all on the island of Java.  However, this is all going to change because next week (aka tomorrow), I am scheduled to return to Borneo.  The crowd cheers, yah!!!! I figured I would take this opportunity, while I still have free 24 access to internet, to explain why I am going to Borneo.  I have two main projects that I am trying to accomplish, I call one my conservation project and the other my science project... both involve the awesome, amazing, incredible proboscis monkeys (aka the bekantan).  For my conservation project, I am attempting to evaluate how different conservation  projects protect both the proboscis monkeys and the local people.  I will be specifically looking at an ecotourism project, a national park, a carbon credit trading project and an area with no conservation projects.  I am particularly excited to look at the carbon credit trading project because it has the potential to have a huge impact on how we do conservation in the future.  For my science project, I am looking at how proboscis monkeys response to variation in food availability (both variation due to seasonal changes, and also variation due to human caused alterations to habitats).  I will be measuring how proboscis monkeys change their feeding, their ranging and travel patterns, their grouping, and their activities.  I am very excited to return to the field, and will try to keep you all updated on the progress I make.  Hopefully from now on, there will be a lot more bekantans and Borneo in this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment